The City of Claremont has lifted the restrictions that prevented the Friends from holding Second Saturday events in the Park. We had a “soft open” with a few volunteers on July 10, when we were visited by Claremont Mayor Jennifer Stark, and a regular Second Saturday event on August 14.
The second Saturday volunteer program is a collaboration of the Friends of the Wilderness Park, CHWP Rangers, and City Staff. On the second Saturday of each month, for four hours Friends’ volunteers:
- Answer questions about the Park.
- Provide directions (with a map that visitors can photograph).
- Remind visitors to take adequate water for themselves and their dogs.
- Give water and/or refillable water bottles (or a drink from a dog bowl) to those in need.
- Remind visitors to keep dogs on leashes and not play music out loud.
- Hike the loop, picking up trash and answering questions along the way.
We are always looking for volunteers for Second Saturday, so if you’re interested, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Vicki Salazar at email@example.com, or if you’re in the Park, stop by and say, “Hi”.